Now you gotta have a big meal on Christmas here are some suggestions:
Rosemary Roasted Turkey
Who says you can't have turkey only at Thanksgiving
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 (12 pound) whole turkey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, basil, Italian seasoning, black pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Wash the turkey inside and out; pat dry. Remove any large fat deposits. Loosen the skin from the breast. This is done by slowly working your fingers between the breast and the skin. Work it loose to the end of the drumstick, being careful not to tear the skin.
- Using your hand, spread a generous amount of the rosemary mixture under the breast skin and down the thigh and leg. Rub the remainder of the rosemary mixture over the outside of the breast. Use toothpicks to seal skin over any exposed breast meat.
- Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Add about 1/4 inch of water to the bottom of the pan. Roast in the preheated oven 3 to 4 hours, or until the internal temperature of the bird reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).
Tip Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Garden Veggie Pizza Squares
For all my vegetarians out there
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1 ounce) package Ranch-style dressing mix
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll out crescent rolls onto a large non-stick baking sheet. Stretch and flatten to form a single rectangular shape on the baking sheet. Bake 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Place cream cheese in a medium bowl. Mix cream cheese with 1/2 of the ranch dressing mix. Adjust the amount of dressing mix to taste. Spread the mixture over the cooled crust. Arrange carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli and green onions on top. Chill in the refrigerator approximately 1 hour. Cut into bite-size squares to serve.